Saturday, April 16, 2016

NGN FAVORITES: COMIC BOOKS III-CHARACTER COSTUMES

Batman and his Batsuit is my favorite. The reason being that there are too many variations that I really like that they need their own list. Plus, Batman is my top hero so I am being majorly bias here of course haha Keep an eye out for that in the future though. Although I have my favorites, I do like characters who have evolved their looks and costumes over time. Even the best can get stale.
Spider-Man
-A lot of variations nowadays, but it wasn't always like that. There was a time when it was the traditional, a cosmic one which was the same as the regular, but had webbing in the armpits haha And of course the black. Black is my all-time favorite Spider-Man costume, even as a non-symbiote the basic black and white work well in comic books. Followed by the Spider-Man 2099 get-up, and of the newer styles I really like the looks of the Spider-Man Noir and Future Foundation versions.

Cyclops
-Another Marvel character that has had many styles and looks over the years. Only the visor has generally remained the same, with the exception of that "X". My favorite is from the early 90's, with the blue and yellow sans hood. It just looked like what a leader and soldier would wear when I was a kid, and seemed to almost perfectly complement both Jean Grey's and some other X-Men's general uniform pallet at that time as well. Not a fan of them with Cyclops, but if I had to pick from the "hooded" looks, I'd go with the original. His powers were all that separated him from the flock and that "X" visor looks pretty cool to I must admit.

Spawn
-Fellow Canadian Todd McFarlane struck gold when he created Spawn. The mask and eyes, the chains, the cape. Head to toe I like the look of this one. Even when the mask is removed, we get a gross, but great look of Al Simmons after his death. A look that hasn't needed to change really, plus I am not an avid reader so I haven't grown bored with it haha

Catwoman
-It is one of the hardest looks to pull off in the real world. Sorry ladies, but most of the time the ears just don't look right. I can't explain it. Halle Berry's mask doesn't count, as it doesn't look right period. Back to the print, where my favorite Catwoman costume in comic books is in the New 52 era. It just looks like it would actually work, it fits the base of the character (a cat burglar/thief), and isn't too revealing when not drawn that way haha A close second is the purple suit with long black hair hanging out the back of the mask, and black thigh high boots. Just looks great to me. If there is a comic book version of Michelle Pfeiffer's costume, then that would be a definite second but maybe the tops haha

The Joker
-The costume has generally stayed the same, purple suit, but there have been slight variations and other outfits. And his general appearance has evolved over time (face, hair, grin, etc). I can't really pick a top favorite, but the clowns fighting for top spot are...from the 1980's and 90's being when I got into comic books so it holds down in my memory and Joker obsession haha, "Joker" graphic novel, which is a comic version of Ledger. From the New 52 era with the mechanic outfit and "face strapped and stapled back on" look and the "new" look. One was sick in both meanings of the word, the other similar to what we'll see in the upcoming Suicide Squad movie (sans ink....which I like to be honest).

I dawned on me after I was finished that there are two Batman characters in the mix, but that's ok haha I said a separate posting would be for just Batman, and really the people within Gotham have the better looks in DC Comics. But, again I am pretty bias in this case haha

No comments:

Post a Comment