Tuesday, April 12, 2016

NGN FAVORITES: VIDEO GAMES

I was a spoiled kid, but parent didn't focus that on video games. Not complaining, just explaining the shortness on some platforms. Plus, I grew up when video stores were in their prime and the sharing with friends option was always there. I've always gotten a console when I asked for one, so that was pretty good considering I had 3 siblings and I had to share nothing (9+yrs older here). Now as an adult, I have my "must haves" and everything else is a wait for a price drop or go on sale. Here are all the games that I have liked since Mario popped my cherry in the 1980's...

Fav NES Games
  • Super Mario Bros./Duck Hunt
  • Super Mario Bros. 2
  • Super Mario Bros. 3
  • Batman: Return Of The Joker
  • Mega Man 3
  • RBI Baseball
  • The Legend Of Zelda
  • Who Framed Roger Rabbit?
  • Mike Tyson's Punch Out
Mario was boss for me in the beginning, as I am sure he was for the majority of the general video game fans back then. Tastes evolve, but you don't forget your first haha Duck Hunt makes it for usage, both being the second game I owned (coming with Super Mario Bros.) and for being the only game I used the gun for haha There were some wrestling games both from WWF (WWE) and NWA (WCW), but they were a bigger part of my later years in terms of time spent. I also had the Power Glove, but could never get the damn thing to work haha

Fav SNES Games
  • Super Mario World
  • Super Mario All-Stars
  • Street Fighter II Turbo
  • Super Street Fighter II
  • NHL '94
  • NBA Jam
  • Spider-Man And Venom: Maximum Carnage
  • Sim City
  • Donkey Kong Country
Mario makes it in again, for the same reasons. Super Mario All-Stars sneaks in for allowing us to play the originals (a lot of NES became hard to use, and didn't know how to clean and that as a kid), and giving the lost levels (which was basically exactly like Super Mario Bros.) was okay if bored. Was slightly obsessed with the Street Fighter games, having a need to see the end stories for all characters (I didn't mind the movie, it was different but loved the game to didn't care too much then haha). NHL '94, on sale at the now defunct Bi-way, and I am Canadian.

Fav N64 Games
  • Mario 64
  • WWF War Zone
  • WWF Wrestlemania 2000
  • WWF No Mercy
  • Resident Evil 2
  • Donkey Kong 64
  • The Legend Of Zelda: Ocarina Of Time
  • The Legend Of Zelda: Majora's Mask
  • Spider-Man
The Nintendo 64 holds memories, mainly being that played and completed Mario 64 Christmas Eve while I wrapped every present, including the ones for myself (it was a lot too, 4 of us kids and spoiled). With the N64 began the Wrestling obsession. Constantly in creative mode, making multiple variations of myself and wrestlers not featured in the game. I was one of the rare people who didn't actually enjoy 007, I just don't like first person shooters.

Fav X-Box Games
  • WWE RAW
  • WWE RAW 2
  • Star Wars Knights Of The Old Republic
  • Star Wars Knights Of The Old Republic II: The Sith Lords
  • Batman Begins
  • Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 4
I didn't play much on my X-Box. I initially got it because I wanted the feature to add music to it (pre-everything can store music, and everyone has something days). I absolutely loved the two Star Wars Knights Of The Old Republic games, and still wish that the franchise would come to the Dark Side that is Playstation consoles.

Fav Playstation Games
  • Twisted Metal III
  • Gran Turismo
  • Crash Bandicoot
  • Final Fantasy VII
  • Final Fantasy VIII
  • Final Fantasy IX
  • Legend Of Legaia
  • Legend Of Dragoon
  • Spyro The Dragon
Most of my initial PSone playing came when I would swap my N64 with my little brother for his Playstation. Memory there was finally getting licenses, saving it of course, and him losing the memory card haha The majority came later when my lady and I had one. There came Final Fantasy. Which I enjoyed before, but owned later and got to play the crap out of them. With those came the games she liked with Dragoon and Legaia.

Fav PS2 Games
  • Grand Theft Auto III
  • Grand Theft Auto: Vice City
  • Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas
  • Bully
  • Spider-Man 2
  • WWE Here Comes The Pain
  • WWE Shut Your Mouth
  • WWE Raw Vs Smackdown!
  • Star Wars: The Force Unleashed
  • Dark Cloud
This is when Wrestling games were at an all time high for me, again lost in creative modes. With the PS2 O was introduced to Grand Theft Auto III. Needless to say, basically I play needs to be similar in terms of game play. Free-mode, huge maps, first person mode is non-existent or optional. The follow-ups were even better. Although the amount of commercial time Vice City had might have forced us, at least up here in Canada where the commercial was airing even a few years after (on The Score/Sportsnet360).

Fav PS3 Games
  • Batman: Arham Asylum
  • Batman: Arkham City
  • Batman: Arkham Origins
  • Grand Theft Auto IV
  • DC Universe Online
  • Lego Batman: The Video Game
  • Lego Batman 2: DC Superheroes
  • Star Wars: The Force Unleashed II
  • Spider-Man 3
Remember what I said about Grand Theft Auto? Well, Grand Theft Auto IV started my wishing I had a Batman game like that. Envisioning Gotham as I cruised the city. I eventually got that with the Arkham series. I was not disappointed either, given that franchise is now ahead of Grand Theft Auto. PS3 also gave me my first online experience with DC Universe Online. Which I have thoroughly enjoyed, and hoped they gave a new version on PS4. And like many other immature adults, or those with kids to use an excuse, I enjoy the Lego games. Of course, Batman takes the cake there.

Fav PS4 Games
  • Batman: Arkham Knight
  • Grand Theft Auto V
  • Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag
  • Assassin's Creed: Syndicate
  • Deadpool
  • Lego Batman 3: Beyond Gotham
  • Lego Marvel Superheroes
  • DC Universe Online
Batman: Arkham Knight left me hoping that it isn't the end. Regardless, it is why I wanted to upgrade from a PS3. And although I hadn't played previous installments, which may be why, I really like the Assassin's Creed franchise. That happened through Black Flag and Syndicate, which goes against the grain from what I hear. Deadpool was originally a PS3 game, but I only have it on PS4 so it makes this list. Although not a direct movie rip-off, but an upgrade would be nice for the Merc With A Mouth. Still not a whole lot of PS4 games just yet, and hopefully there will be a ton more, given rumors that PS5 will be purely digital.

No comments:

Post a Comment