Saturday, April 9, 2016

THINGS MY GRANDKIDS WON'T UNDERSTAND

It will be similar to that of what I am sure my grandparents and parents felt when they would mention something. But, in most of those cases, it would still exist so I would see it. Black and White television? Saw it quite often as a kid. Beta Max and 8track? Saw them as they were being phased out, and even had a Beta Max from my Grandpa, which is how I saw/loved "Cheech & Chong's Up In Smoke" haha With my grandchildren however, there might not be the things to show them if I don't save something.

Hard Copies
This applies to almost everything that entertains us. Music, movies, video games, and literature. When I tell my grandchildren about VHS and audio cassette tapes, they are going to think that we literally put pieces of tape onto everything haha DVD's and CD's will be the same thing. Blu-Ray's I am not sure, as they are pretty durable but if they will still be made at that time is the question. Literature ranging in almost all genres. Books, newspapers (which will just be "news"), comic books, etc. Even physical mail, although that could hang-on for those who grasp the concept of "hand written" letter haha "What's hard copy. Grandpa? Is that the files you can't copy from Grandma?" haha

Telephones
It is already at the point where having a landline phone is becoming not normal haha I have one, but it is really only something for emergencies, opening the main door to my apartment building, and for debt collectors to call haha Are my grandbabies even going to need to know how to dial a phone? Even now with my cell phone, I don't really know anyone's number or even my own. Why? I don't use it, and with others I find their names and go from there haha We've already lost meaning to a lot of the terms that stemmed from telephones. Hang-up. Dialing. Both began as literal meanings.

Movie Theaters
It is hard to see them disappearing, but the home movie experience is becoming better and better. Televisions, and even projection units are top quality, and improving.  Add that there has already been some films that premiered both in theaters and on-demands everywhere. I am on the fence, I do prefer to watch movies at home, but that movie theater experience is still hard to beat.

The Incredible Hulk
The character will likely still be around, but I am talking live action. They will give me "wtf, Grandpa" looks when I tell them that the character was originally played by a man. Lou Ferrigno mind you, but still a man and not a CGI perfected monster.

Hoverboards
Look at me when I say this, "THOSE. ARE. NOT. HOVERBOARDS!" haha What they are passing off today are segways minus the handle. Hoverboards "hover", they don't "roll". I fear my grandchildren will never know they are getting ripped off if this continues haha

Animation....By Hand
It has already begun, and the quality has jumped leaps and bounds, but can't replace the early years. An 80's kid, so cartoons were a big part of my childhood haha Then again, this could work in my favor, "Holy sh^t! Look at what Grandpa just did!!" haha

I am sure that there are other things, or that there will surely be some new additions over the upcoming years. But, this is a sad start haha Some changes will be embraced by myself and others like me, but even then a part of me will miss the experiences that came from the "hard times" haha

No comments:

Post a Comment