Saturday, April 16, 2016

NGN FAVORITES: PRO WRESTLING IV-WWE RETURNS & DEBUTS

A few things add to the "experience" of witnessing a WWE debut or return. How I like the superstar, the music, the look, the crowd reaction, the moments that follow. One of each, all of the above, or various combinations of them.There were more, but these are the WWE debuts and returns that I can still remember and in some cases still get the chills and goosebumps even today.

Debuts:

Chris Jericho
I still get goosebumps watching this one. I didn't have the internet then, and didn't really have any friends who read the dirt sheets and whatnot, so I was shocked when "Jericho" appeared on the screen and Y2J appeared. He was one of the few WCW guys I enjoyed watching in my limited exposure to the product.

Tazz
The New York crowd kind of gave it away as Kurt Angle was cutting his promo, but they also added to their hometown boys WWE debut. The music, the lights, even the towel on his head made it look epic as the MSG gave possibly their biggest pop of Royal Rumble 2000/

The Undertaker
I can't remember if I watched this live or soon there after on VHS (yes, VHS). Regardless, all I can remember is that from moment one, the Deadman scared the sh!t out of me. Later adding Paul Bearer and the Funeral Parlor only made things worse haha

AJ Styles
The crowd pop wasn't as big as Jericho's (that could have been the audio though or arena acoustics), but it was still close and a big reaction from the crowd at the 2016 Royal Rumble. I could've cared less about the reaction as I was just pumped that the Phenomenal one was finally in the organization he belongs. Other companies helped prepare him, but the WWE stage is one AJ Styles belongs on.

Booker T and Diamond Dallas Page
Booker was given the better scenario with Austin, DDP was with Taker but the stalker angle was weird. Regardless, their arrivals meant The Invasion was officially on. Didn't get all of the big names, but I enjoyed this period regardless. Booker T and Diamond Dallas Page helped that.

Returns:

Stone Cold Steve Austin
Which time? Wrestlemania 32. When I noticed HBK was ready to wrestle, and then Mick came out I thought this was gonna be cool. The Rock is probably the third guy. Then "the glass broke", and I had my greatest feeling ever in sports entertainment haha I think my heart might have actually stopped for a moment before the goosebumps and the numerous "Holy Sh1t!!!"s sped from my mouth. Sure, he wasn't in his gear, but I knew I was about to relive my glory years and watch a classic Texas sized Can Of Whoop-Ass be opened. And the bit with The New Day was hilarious. One time deal, but that's sure better than nothing.

Shane McMahon
I got goosebumps with this one as well. The shock of Shane O'Mac returning, but also possibly the loudest crowd pop I've ever heard. Or perhaps it felt bigger as it has kind of been awhile of a worthy moment. Regardless, it was a huuuuuge ovation.

Undertaker
Again with the question of which time? Wrestlemania XX. We obviously knew he was returning, but when Paul Bearer's voice echoed his trademark, "Oh Yes!" it took things to another level. Then to see Taker's return to an updated Deadman gimmick was amazing. This was really the only thing I talked about with coworkers at that time leading up to Mania. Benoit was a Canadian boy, and this was obviously before the tragedy. But, it was how Taker will look and approach his character upon his return against Kane (who was at his best at that time in my opinion).

Triple H
His return from his first torn quad. WWE did an amazing job helping us remember not who he was (we wouldn't forget him) but what he did. Not even just the torn quad, and finishing the match. He tore his quad and finished the match in the *expletive* Walls Of Jericho!!!! If you think I am overselling, do the math. Jericho's finishing submission on top of the announce table wasn't helping The Game's fresh injury. Anyhow, the pop of the ever loud MSG crowd gave me goosebumps once again.


n.W.o.
I put them under returns as the same or similar reaction would've came sans the black and white. They were WWE made men which is what made the New World Order work in the beginning. The only "debut" was simply of the brand. Either way it was a great moment at the aptly named No Way Out. Crowd reaction and the entertainment. Scott Hall's line about maybe having some beers with the boys and Hogan and Nash saying no was hilarious (it's good to laugh sometimes).


NGN FAVORITES: PRO WRESTLING I-SUPERSTARS
NGN FAVORITES: PRO WRESTLING II-FINISHING & SIGNATURE MOVES
NGN FAVORITES: PRO WRESTLING III-ENTRANCES

No comments:

Post a Comment