Sunday, April 17, 2016

NGN FAVORITES: PRO WRESTLING V: TAG TEAMS

They say that two is better than one, and tag team wrestling has shown that many times over the years.

As A Kid...
  • Steiner Brothers
  • Legion Of Doom
  • Hart Foundation
  • The Rockers
  • Demolition



-The hardest list really. 1980's and 90's were loaded with tag-teams, and they were all pretty good, well as a kid. Steiners for the amateur wrestling moves, and the Frankensteiner being the first hurricanrana I had seen added greatly to this. LOD is likely on everyone's list, understandably. I'm Canadian so of course Jim and Bret are on here, plus I always preferred them over the British Bulldogs. The break-up on the Parlor Shop meant more to me because I actually liked The Rockers. Things turned out pretty good though via HBK (sorry, Marty). I was mostly a WWE guy, so Demolition were my Road Warriors...until they were squashed by the Legion Of Doom.

As A Teen...
  • New Age Outlaws
  • Hardy Boyz
  • Edge & Christian
  • Rock 'n' Sock Connection
  • Dudley Boyz



-It is a pretty standard list, but could I really leave the teams from the TLC matches off it? Mankind and The Rock were the perfect odd couple team at that time. And I still do the New Age Outlaws entrance to this day, so obviously. Others would have been the Brothers Of Destruction, The Outsiders, Holly Cousins, APA, Two-Man Power Trip (Austin and Triple H), Harlem Heat, Too Cool, and others.

As Young Adult...
  • Dudley Boyz
  • Los Guerreros
  • 3-Minute Warning
  • Chuck & Billy
  • The Worlds Greatest Tag-Team



-In the WWE, I didn't like the splitting of the Dudleyz at all, was stoked to see the reunion at Survivor Series in 2002 (weird to say but it was done better in TNA). Other than his title runs, Los Guerreros was my favorite Eddie stuff, thinking it was the beginning of the Lie, Cheat, and Steal schtick (can't remember for sure). 3-Minute Warning was somewhat of a trio with Ricco, but loved the tag team of Rosey and Jamal. They were a new age Head Shrinkers and Wild Samoans. Ricco once again in the mix, but loved the Billy & Chuck teaming. The wedding was a bit much, entertaining but killed the gimmick. The Worlds Greatest Tag-Team was the precursor to American Alpha in a way. Shelton Benjamin was a whole different athlete than the other 3 in this discussion.

Now...
  • Enzo And Cass
  • Harper And Rowan
  • Dudley Boyz
  • Usos




-Like many I am a big fan of Enzo Amore and Big Colin Cassidy. The entrance, the difference in characters yet are similar. Its all good. And you can't teach that. I can also see them as singles stars if and when the time calls for it, with Enzo being a good mic worker and scrappy as hell, and Cass of course being that rare 7 footer who can move. I don't like them as much in singles, but together Harper and Rowan are money. Dudleyz of course. Usos have become a bit stale for me, but would love a heel turn. A new age 3-Minute Warning look wise, it would also be a homage to their late uncle, Umaga. I left the last spot open because I am only just under halfway through my 30's, and not sure who to pick between The Revival, American Alpha, and The Vaudevillains. Have to see how Revival and Alpha do on the main roster, and not sure if the Vaudevillains will be as interesting a few years from now.

You would think that perhaps that the Dudley Boyz were my all-time favorite tag-team, given they are listed in each era of my life. However, they are not. They are Top 5 for sure, but they happened to be great in a variety of times in WWE history. I can't pinpoint an absolute favorite team. I liked too many for different reasons, and at different times in my life.

NGN FAVORITES: PRO WRESTLING I-SUPERSTARS
NGN FAVORITES: PRO WRESTLING II-FINISHING & SIGNATURE MOVES
NGN FAVORITES: PRO WRESTLING III-ENTRANCES
NGN FAVORITES: PRO WRESTLING IV-WWE RETURNS & DEBUTS 

No comments:

Post a Comment